Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Coloring In Comcs.

I feel that coloring is pointless in comics unless it's used as a means to serve the story. It needs a purpose other than telling me Odie is yellow. Hobbes is orange, Spider-man's jimjams are red/blue (or black, depending on if the artist is on model or not)

I don't need to know that stuff. I know tigers are orange, so I can assume Hobbes is orange. It's not important at all to see Spider-man's costume is red/blue because his design, with the webbing and spider insignia, perfectly conveys he's trying to get a spider-y look. (what red/blue has to do with spiders, and why his costume IS red/blue is beyond anyone) One of the great things that makes Batman so visually appealing is because his costume is just DARK and scary in black & white.

If it's not used for a story purpose then it just seems like a wasted process.

Frank MIller's THAT YELLOW BASTARD is a perfet example. The character's skin condition is part of the story so he needs to be yellow. And since he's the only thing colored in the book, it adds impact to the character being an obviously noticable "freak." Because I can assume everyone else is of regular black, white, asian skin tones. But THIS guy, he stands out even when he wants to be subtle.

Well, that's just my opinion on it. When I look at a colored comic and color isn't part of the story, I just think the creator wasted their time conducting a process that adds nothnig, and is there because it's ingrained in American comics minds that color is better.

No comments: